Saturday, August 21, 2010

Would I have a civil case against my neighbor for having my cat fixed without my permission?

I didn't know the cat was broken.Would I have a civil case against my neighbor for having my cat fixed without my permission?
Depends. Did the neighbor know without a doubt it was YOUR cat? Is it drastically important that your animal remain intact? Is it a purebred for stud or breeding purposes and worth less if it's altered? If it was so important that it not be neutered/spayed, why wasn't it kept indoors?





I've taken in two stray males that just showed up one day. I tried to find the owners, but after a month of them spraying here and there and no owner to claim them, off they went to get neutered and vetted. I adopt out cats to responsible homes, ones that commit to taking care of them and not adding to the cat population. I did have them checked for rmicrochips before having any vet work done because I wasn't about to fix someone elses cat if it was just a poor lost kitty. But in my neighborhood, there have been many sudden vacancies and bank foreclosures so these little guys I'm sure used to be inside cats at some time and were just left behind to fend for themselves (they wanted to come in rather badly) and they didn't want to go back out once they were in.





But if the owner of any of these cats showed up I'd probably have a case against them because the cats were in such bad shape when I found them I could have proven (1) neglect and (2) my attempts to locate the owner. Unless someone MADE me surrender them, I wouldn't give them back, even if they did reimburse me for all the money I spent getting them well again.Would I have a civil case against my neighbor for having my cat fixed without my permission?
although i do agree that cats should be neutured asap as there are sooooo many strays and you shouldnt let it have run around without being neutered, this is not right and you can file charges against them, im not sure whether it would go anywhere but this is a very wrong thing for them to do and they had no right to do this, obviously you can't just call the police but speak to your solicitor and see if this is a case that is worth doing something about, in the mean time





you should get him or her fixed and see how they like it!





RGxxx
It depends on the situation. If you have an outdoor cat with no identification, then your neighbor can tell the court that he believe the cat to be a stray and he is just doing what he think is right. However, if you can prove to the court that your neighbor is well aware that the cat belongs to you and he secretly have him fixed, then you might have a case there.
MANY years ago, before I was smart enough to know that cats live longer when kept inside, there was a black and white, male ( one front paw missing ) that always came up my driveway, and ';messed up'; my purebred Siamese litters! He didn't seem to have a home, because he was always hanging around my house. He looked ';scruffy';, like nobody was taking care of him......





So, I decided to ';make friends'; with him! I figured, if no one was taking care of him, and just letting him ROAM around, he ';needed'; a home. After a few days of calling him TO me, instead of SHOOING him AWAY, he came to me to be petted.





I picked him up, put him in my truck, and took him to my vet, where he was neutered ! When I brought him home, I let him loose in the front yard, so he could go home if he wanted to ( and if he had a home to go to ). He stayed at my house for 10 years!!!





NO ONE came looking for him.......no flyers, no notices at the vets, no inquiries at the shelter.........so, he now had a home with me, but never made anymore ';accidental'; litters of kittens.





He died of old age, still fat and happy........





So, this is the ';other side'; of your question..........
if your not a professional breeder then you'll need to get your cat neutered/spayed sooner or later .If you don't plan to then i'd say your neighbor jus' took the action doin' it right for you . i wouldn't file any charges on your neighbor .
well i dont know the answer to your question, but you are lucky that your neighbours did that, because it should have been done sooner than later! be thankful they did that and you didnt have to pay the bill.
possibly, but because of civil leash laws it may come back and bite you. it was illegal for you to allow your cat to run free and cause a nuisance.
I agree with what he said. If he did it knowing it was your cat then ya by all means you have a case. I believe I saw something like this on judge judy once and the person won =)
i think your neighbour done you a favour and your cat there is so many stray cats about and unwanted cats in rescue centres
  • good eyeshadow
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment